8. When you were a child
Structure: main point + concession
What games did you enjoy playing when you were a child?
|Well, I was always very keen on playing video games. I spent almost all my free time playing them. However, I’m quite aware that… It wasn’t the healthiest way to spend my childhood and perhaps it’s contributed to my myopia*.
[* myopia is an eye problem of short-sightedness]
However, I’m quite aware that…
Nevertheless, it is worth remembering that…
Although, I suppose it could be argued that…
- What colors did you like when you were a child?
- Did you like to wear bright clothing when you were a child?
- Did you like any sports when you were a child?
- What type of food did you like when you were a child?
- Did you have a lot of friends when you were a child?
- What types of indoor activities did you do when you were a child?
9. In the future
strategy: avoidance [not directly answering the question]
Structure: avoiding phrase + answer to the question
“Where would you like to go for your next vacation?”
|Well, to be honest, I don’t really have a clear plan but I guess that I will probably go overseas to some exotic location like Nepal because I’m really into hiking and exploring new areas.|
Well, to be honest, I don’t really have…
Actually, I’m not really sure about that.
Oh, I’ve never really thought about that.
answer to the question
… but I guess that I will probably…
… but I guess that if I had to choose one, then I’d…
… perhaps the end result will be that
- Would you like to learn a new language in the future?
- In the future, what sort of home would you like to live in?
- In the future, do you think people will use mobile phones more than now?
- In the future, do you think people will be healthier or less healthy than now?
- Do you think your hometown will change much in the future?
Do you think you will have more free time in the future?
Extracted from my IELTS Speaking book
1 thought on “IELTS Part one speaking Strategies”
It’s really helpful to me and i am following your rules.Thanks a lot