Task 2 of the IELTS writing exam is similar for both academic IELTS exam and general IELTS exam , and candidates are assessed according to exactly the same criteria. The task requires candidates to write an essay of over 250 words in 40 minutes.
How to Score well
- Clearly understand the requirements of the task
- Able to paraphrase key words in the task direction
- Able to correctly structure your answer (few test-takers do this well!)
- Able to use language to accurately and precisely describe the opinion or argument you are presenting.
- Able to vary grammatical structures and control grammar for accuracy.
In order to understand the types of essays more fully you should go to the page for each type of essay. These include model answers for each type of question: