IELTS LETTER writing task 1 general. I will show you how to analyse the task, plan it, and write it to a band nine level. I’ll give you a complete band 9 model answer.
Task sequence for writing a letter
In order to complete your task efficiently and within about 20 minutes you should complete the task in the following manner:
1. Read the question and identify the purpose of the letter. (Asking for help, requesting information, apologizing, complaining, or thanking someone)
2. Underline key words to help you understand the purpose better and also so you can rephrase these words when you write your letter.
3. Brainstorm how you will answer the task; you always need to respond to three bullet points. In some cases this may require you to “invent” information. For instance, you will need to think of a piece of equipment if you are asked to: describe a problem you had with a piece of equipment.
4. Write the letter
5. Proofread your letter
You live in a room in college which you share with another student. However, there are many problems with this arrangement and you find it very difficult to study. Write a letter to the accommodation officer at the college. In the letter,
• describe the situation
• explain your problems and why it is difficult to study
• say what kind of accommodation you would prefer
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing this letter to express my dissatisfaction with my roommate and to request another room.
Please allow me to give you the background for my request. I’m currently on a scholarship and in order to maintain it, I must maintain a minimum of an A- average. In order to achieve this, I have to study diligently every evening after classes.
The major issue I am having is that I have a roommate who is a sports major and likes to work out in the room after classes, which makes a lot of noise. He also likes to invite his friends over to party until the wee hours, which is making it difficult for me to sleep well.
The type of room that would suit me best would be a single room. However, if this is not possible, I would like to change to a room with someone who is quiet and also focused on studying.