Use these IELTS letter writing questions from recent tests to prepare for your test. You may like to see questions with model answers.
Latest questions in 2019
You are living overseas and have just come across an article about your country in a magazine where some of the information is incorrect.
Write a letter to the editor.
- Explaining what the incorrect information is
- say how the editor could change it
- Suggest another topic about your country that they could write about
Your child is going on a three-day school trip to another country. The head teacher wants to find parents to go with the group and you would like to go.
Write a letter to the head teacher. In your letter:
- Say why you would like to go on the trip
- Suggest what you could do to help during the trip
- Ask questions about the trip
A company has asked your local council to open a factory in the area where you live. You and your neighbours feel that this is not a great idea. write a letter to the local council.
In your letter, you should:
- state what problems this might cause
- explain how it will affect you and others
- suggest what you want the council to do.
Your local council have asked for suggestions on how to keep the city cleaner. Write a letter to the councilor with the following information:
- Explain what the council can do
- State what the local people can do
- Describe how the local community would benefit from these changes
A local college is having an international day. You want to speak about your country to students from different cultures.
Write a letter to the college head. In your letter:
- Tell him/her about the topics that you are going to talk about
- Explain why they would be of interest to the students
- Ask about any arrangements that you need to make to give the talk
You have seen an advertisement for part-time job at a restaurant and want to apply for it.
Write a letter to the manager. In your letter:
- describe your experience
- tell him why you are interested in the job
- say why you think you would be suitable for the job.
You ordered a book from a company online and haven’t received yet. Write a letter to the manager of the company. In the letter, you should:
- give the details about your order
- explain why you need it urgently
- ask when you might receive it
You work for an international company. Recently your job has changed and you believe that more training is needed. Write a letter to your manager. In the letter, you should say:
- how your job has changed
- what type of training you need.
- suggest the arrangements for incorporating training and your work.
Someone has returned your bag with all its belongings that you recently lost. Write a letter to thank that person. In the letter, you should:
- thank him/her
- describe how you left your bag
- explain why its belongings were important to you.
Questions from 2018
- Write a complaint letter about a taxi service that you have used recently. Please say
– When did you use the service?
– What was wrong with the service provided?
– What actions for improvement do you suggest?
- You have stayed in a hotel a couple of days for a business meeting and left a few personal belongings there. Write a letter to the manager of the hotel asking for help.
– Explain when you stayed in the hotel.
– What did you leave there?
– What would you like the manager to do about it?
- Write a letter to your manager and ask for his/her comments regarding the article which will be published in a famous magazine next month. In this letter, you should say
– What have you written the article about?
– Why did you write it?
– What makes it so special?
- You have recently used the services of a moving company. At the new place you found out that some of your items were badly damaged. Write a letter to the company manager including the following:
– Give details of your move.
– List items that were damaged.
– Say what you expect the manager to do.
- Write to a newspaper regarding an article they published about a TV program. Please say
– Why didn’t you like the article?
– Why do you like this TV program?
– What is you suggestion to the editor?
- Write a letter to a friend who went away for holidays and you stayed at his/her house. In your letter explain
– What did you enjoy there?
– What was the problem with the kitchen equipment?
– What did you do to fix it?
IELTS Letter Writing 2018
You and your family are living in rented accommodation in an English speaking country. You are not satisfied with the condition of some of the furniture. Write a letter to your landlord. In your letter:
- introduce yourself
- explain what is wrong with the furniture
- say what action you would like the landlord to take
Your-have a full-time job and are also doing a part-time evening course. You now find that you cannot continue the course. Write a letter to your teacher. In your letter:
- describe the situation
- explain why you cannot continue at this time
- say what action you would like to take
Your neighbours have recently written to you to complain about the noise from your house flat. Write a letter to your neighbours. In your letter:
- explain the reasons for the noise
- describe what action you will take
You took your family to a nearby restaurant. You were disappointed with the meal and wish to complain to the manager. Write a letter to the manager of the restaurant. In the letter:
- explain why you were at the restaurant
- describe the problems
- write about the action you want the manager to take
Your family is going to move to another town. Write a letter to the Principal of a local school asking if they will accept your son. In the letter:
- explain why you would like your son to attend this school
- describe his past academic achievements
- describe his current interests
You have just moved into a new home and are planning to hold a party. You are worried that the noise may disturb your neighbour. Write a letter to your neighbour. In your letter:
- introduce yourself
- describe your plans for the party
- invite your neighbour to come
You recently attended a conference and you would like to give a presentation about the information you gained by attending the conference. Write a letter to your manager asking for permission to give a presentation. In your letter:
- describe what type of presentation you have in mind
- what topics it would cover and how long it would take
- who should attend the presentation and where should it be conducted
A friend you met last year has invited you to visit him/her in his/her country. You have never been there before and need some information before you leave. Write a letter to your friend. In your letter:
- request advise about a gift for his/her family
- ask about activities and clothing in his/her country
- find out about the food