2019 part 1 recent IELTS speaking test questions
New Topics September– December 2019
Let’s talk about teachers
Q1: What kinds of teachers do you like?
Q2: Did you have a favorite teacher at high school?
Q5: What’s the difference between young and old teachers?
Q6: Do you want to be a teacher in the future?
Now let’s talk about friends
Q1: What sort of people do you think make good friends?
Q2: Do you keep in contact with friends from your childhood?
Q3: Do you think you are a good friend to others?
Q4: Do you prefer to have a lot of friends or just a few close ones?
I’d like to discuss movies
Q1: What’s your favorite movie?
Q2: Do your friends like this movie?
Q3: What kinds of movies do you think young people like?
Q4: Do you want to be a movie star?
Let’s talk about animals
Q1: Have you ever kept any pets?
Q2: Do you like to go to the zoo?
Q3: Have you ever seen any animals in the wild before?
Q4: What wild animal do you like most?
I’d like to discuss languages
Q1: What languages can you speak?
Q2: Do you think it’s difficult to learn a new language?
Q3: Will you learn other languages in the future?
Q4: Why do you learn English?
Let’s talk about voices
Q1: Has your voice ever changed?
Q2: Do you enjoy recording your voice and listening to it?
Q3: Do you like the sound of your own voice?
Q4: Does your voice sound similar to your parents’?
Now let’s talk about jeans
Q1: Do you like wearing jeans?
Q2: How often do you wear jeans?
Q3: Did you wear jeans when you were a child?
Q4: Why do you think jeans are popular?
Let’s talk about haircuts
Q1: Do you like having your hair cut?
Q2: How long have you had your current haircut?
Q3: Have you ever had an unhappy haircut experience?
Q4: How often do you have a haircut?
Now let’s talk about walking
Q1: Do you walk a lot?
Q2: Do you walk more often than in the past?
Q3: Where do you usually take a walk?
Q4: Do you think people will walk more in the future?
Let’s talk about concentration
Q1: What do you do to help yourself concentrate?
Q2: When do you need to be focused?
Q3: What may distract you when you’re trying to stay focused?
Q4: Is it difficult for you to stay focused on something?
Let’s talk about the Countryside
1: How often do you go to the countryside?
2: When was the last time you went to the countryside?
3: Would you like to live in the countryside in the future?
4: Do people in your country like to live in the countryside?
What things make you tired?
What do you do when you feel tired?
Who do you prefer to talk to when you feel mentally tired – your friends or your families?
Do you want to talk to strangers when you feel mentally tired?
Do you like sunshine?
What do you do on sunny days?
Have you ever used sunscreen?
What activities are not suitable on a sunny day?
Do you like amusement parks?
How often do you go to amusement parks?
What do you usually do at amusement parks?
Do you think the amusement park is important?
When was the last time you went to a forest?
Do you like going to a forest if you are free?
What do people generally do in a forest?
Do you think forests are important to us?
How often do you eat with your family?
Do you like eating healthy food?
Do you eat out a lot?
Do you prefer eating at home or at a restaurant?
Do you often wear makeup?
What does wearing makeup mean to you?
Do you give makeup as gifts?
What do you think when you see a man wearing makeup?
Have you ever been to an island?
Is there any island in your country?
Do you want to live on an island if you have a chance?
What do you like to do when you are on an island?
Who do you trust most?
Have you ever lost trust in some people?
What kinds of people do you trust?
Do you trust artificial intelligence?
Do you like going shopping?
Do you shop online?
Does shopping take you a lot of time?
What’s the best part about shopping?
New Topics May – August 2019
Do you like perfume?
Do you use perfume?
Would you ever give perfume as a gift?
Is wearing perfume popular in your country?
How often do you read?
What kinds of book do you like to read?
What was your favourite book or story when you were a child?
Do you like E-books?
What apps do you often use on your phone or computer?
Do you often use apps on your mobile phone?
Do you want to develop an app yourself?
What kinds of apps are popular in your country?
Do you prefer watching or playing sports?
What’s the most common sport in your country?
Do you think it is difficult to learn a new sport?
Are there many celebrity athletes in your country?
- Time Management
How do you organize you time?
Do you make plans every day?
Would you say you manage your time well?
Are you ever late for anything?
Do you like travelling?
Where would you like to travel for a vacation?
Who do you often spend holidays with?
Do you prefer traveling alone or in a group?
- Litter/ Rubbish
Do you think it’s important to keep our cities clean?
What do you do when you see rubbish on the street?
Do you ever throw litter on the ground?
Do you think plastic bags are a serious environmental problem?
Do you like to smile?
How often do you smile?
Do you smile when you are having your picture taken?
When do people smile to others in your country?
Do you like the city you are living in now?
Which city have you been to recently?
Which city do you want to go to next?
What kinds of city do you like?
- Weather/ Season
Which season do you like best?
What’s the weather like in your city?
Does the weather in your country change often?
Do you like it when it’s raining?
- Drinking water
Do you like to drink water?
Do you prefer to drink bottled water or tap water?
Do you drink much water every day?
Do you prefer to drink hot water or cool cold water?
- Visiting relatives
Do you visit your relatives often?
When was the last time you visited them?
What do you do when you visit them?
Do you prefer visiting your relatives, or your friends?
Topics reported from Jan– May 2019
- A Work: let’s talk about what you are doing:
- What sort of work do you do?
- Do you like your job?
- Do you work harder in the mornings or in the afternoons?
- Do you miss being a student?
B.Studies: let’s talk about what you are doing:
- What are you studying?
- Do you enjoy studying?
- Do you prefer to study in the mornings or in the afternoons?
- Are you looking forward to working?
- Now let’s discuss your Home/Accommodation
- Do you live in a house or an apartment?
- What are the differences regarding where you are living now and where you have lived in the past?
- Which room does your family spend most of the time in?
- How long have you lived there?
- Let’s talk about your Hometown
- What is the name of your hometown?
- Is it a big city or a small place?
- How long have you been living there?
- Is there anything you dislike about your hometown?
- I’d like to ask you some questions about medicine
- Did you take any kind of medicine when you were a child?
- Do you take any kind of medicine now?
- Would you buy medicine online?
- What do you think of herbal medicine?
- Now let’s talk about Foreign food
- Have you ever tried foreign food?
- Do you like to try new food?
- What kinds of new food have you tried recently?
- What kinds of foreign food are popular in your country?
- Let’s move on to the topic of transportation
- What is the most popular means of transportation in your hometown?
- Can you compare the advantages of planes and trains?
- How often do you take buses?
- Is driving to work popular in your country?
- Now let’s discuss sports
- Do you like to watch sports on TV?
- Do you play any sports?
- Do you have a favorite sports star?
- What kinds of sports are popular in China?
- I’d like to ask you a few questions about plants
- Do you keep plants at home?
- Did you grow any plants when you were young?
- Do you know anything about growing plants?
- Do Chinese people send plants as gifts?
- Let’s discuss letters
- Do you write many letters?
- Do you prefer to write letters by hand or to use a computer?
- What do you usually write about?
- Who do you usually write to?
- Now let’s talk about music
- When do you listen to music?
- How much time do you spend listening to music every day?
- What kinds of music do you like to listen to?
- What is your favorite kind of music?
- Let’s move on to the topic of being bored
- What will you do when you feel bored?
- When you were young, what would you do if you felt bored?
- What kinds of things are boring to you?
- Do you think young people are more likely to get bored?
- Let’s discuss saving money
- Did you save money when you were young?
- Have you ever given money to other children?
- Do you think parents should teach children to save money?
- Do parents give children pocket money in China?
- Now let’s talk about maps
- Do you often use maps?
- Who taught you how to use a map?
- Do you prefer electronic maps or paper maps?
- When did you last use a map?
- Let’s discuss watches
- How often do you wear a watch?
- What was your first watch like?
- What kinds of watches do you like to wear?
- Do people still wear watches in your country?
- Now I’d like to ask you about gifts
- How often do you buy others gifts?
- Do you like to send expensive gifts?
- What kinds of gifts are popular in your country?
- Why do people send gifts?
- Let’s talk about rainy days
- Does it rain much in your country?
- Is there any part of your country where it doesn’t rain much?
- When does it rain most in your hometown?
- In which season does it rain most in other parts of your country?
- Now I’d like to ask you questions about cities
- Do you like the city you are living in now?
- Which city have you been to recently?
- Do you prefer the city or the countryside?
- What kind of cities do you like?
- Let’s talk about colours
- What’s your favorite color?
- Do you like dark colors?
- Are there any colors you dislike?
- Do you usually wear clothes in your favorite color?
- Let’s discuss cooking
- Have you ever cooked?
- Do you like cooking?
- Do you want to learn how to cook?
- Is it difficult to cook Chinese food for you?
- Now let’s move on to talk about drinking water
- How often do you drink water?
- What kinds of water do you like to drink?
- Do you drink bottled water or water from water machines?
- Do you feel you drink enough water?
- Now I’d like to talk about holidays
- What kinds of places do you like to go on holidays?
- Who would like to go on holiday with?
- Where do plan to go for holidays in the future?
- Let’s discuss morning routines
- What do you do in the mornings?
- Is breakfast important?
- What is your morning routine?
- Do you like to get up early in the morning?
- Let’s talk about movies
- Do you watch movies?
- How often do you watch movies?
- What kind of movies do you like?
- Do you prefer to go to a movie alone or with others?
- Now let’s talk about paintings
- What do you know about paintings?
- Have you learned drawing or painting?
- Is it important to hang pictures at home?
- What kind of paintings do you like?
- Let’s move on to the topic of parks and gardens
- Are public parks very important in your country?
- Do you think there are enough public gardens or parks in your hometown?
- What do you think are the benefits of having gardens in the city?
- Why do people who live in cities like public gardens?
- Let’s talk about photos
- Do you like to take photos?
- Do you prefer to take photos yourself or to have other people take photos?
- How often do you take photos?
- In what situations do you take photos?
- Now let’s discuss shoes
- How often do you buy shoes?
- Have you ever bought shoes online?
- Do you know anyone who likes to buy a lot of shoes?
- What’s your favorite type of shoes?
- Let’s talk about sunglasses
- Do you like to wear sunglasses?
- Where can you buy sunglasses?
- Do people in your country wear sunglasses?
- Do you think people should wear sunglasses when they are in the sun?
- Let’s move on to the topic of weather
- Do you prefer dry or wet weather?
- What kind of weather do you like most?
- What’s your favorite season?
- What kind of weather is typical in your hometown?