IELTS speaking sample questions for part 1
Your Work or Your Studies:
Do you work or are you a student?
* What kind of work do you do?
* Why did you choose to do this type of job?
* Is your job very interesting?
* Will you do this job for a long time?
* What kind of course do you study?
* Why did you choose to do that course?
* Is your course very interesting?
* What will you do when you finish your studies?
* Do you live in a house, or an apartment?
* How long have you lived there?
* Which is your favorite room?
* Will you live here for a long time?
Where You Live:
* Do you live in a city or a town?
* What is the best thing about where you live?
* Do you know many people who live near you?
* How do you think your city/town could be improved?
* Do you like to watch the advertisements on TV?
* Do you see advertisements on the internet?
* Do you like the advertisements that you can see on the street?
* Have you ever bought anything after seeing it in an advertisement?
* How popular are bicycles in your area?
* How often do you ride a bicycle?
* Do you think that bicycles are suitable for all ages?
* What are the benefits of riding a bicycle ?
* Do you have a car?
* Do you prefer to be the driver or the passenger in a car?
* Do you often go on long car journeys?
* Do you prefer big cars or small cars?
* Do you like shopping for clothes?
* How often do you buy clothes?
* What kinds of clothes do you usually buy?
* Do you prefer comfortable clothes, or formal clothes?
* What are your favourite colors?
* What were your favourite colors when you were a child?
* What colour would you choose to paint the walls of your room?
* What colour car would you choose to buy?
* Do you prefer to study or work in a quiet environment?
* Do you ever find it difficult to concentrate?
* What do you do to help yourself concentrate?
* Do you think children can concentrate better than adults
Days of the Week:
* Do you do the same things every day of the week?
* Which is your favorite day of the week?
* What is your busiest day of the week?
* Is there anything you would like to change about your weekly routine?
* Do you have a large or small family?
* How much time do you spend with your family?
* Do you usually eat dinner with your family?
* Are people in your country generally close to their family members?
* What types of food do you like to eat?
* What did you like to eat when you were a child?
* Would you like to try any new type of food?
* What kind of food is popular in your country?
* How much time do you spend with your friends?
* Where do you meet your friends?
* What do you usually do with your friends?
* Do you think it is better to have many friends or just one or two close friends?
* What was your favorite subject?
* Did you like any of the teachers?
* What sports or hobbies did you do at school?
* Which were more important to you the teachers or your classmates?
Hobbies and interests:
* Do you have any hobbies or interests?
* Did you have any hobbies or interests when you were a child?
* What free-time activities are popular in your country?
* Are there any outdoor activities you would like to try in the future?
* Is there any housework that you particularly dislike doing?
* How do you think housework could be made more fun?
* Did you do any housework when you were a child?
* Do you think children should do some housework?
* How often do you use a map?
* Who taught you how to use a map?
* Do you prefer to use electronic maps or those made of paper?
* Do you prefer to use a map, or to ask people for directions?
* Do you enjoy visiting the ocean?
* Do you like to do any activities at the ocean?
* Would you like to live by the ocean?
* Do many people in your country live by the ocean?
* Do you like going to parks?
* Are there a lot of parks in your area?
* When was the last time you went to a park?
* Do you prefer to relax with your friends in a park, or an indoor place?
* How often do you take photos?
* Do you think it is better to take photos using a camera, or a mobile phone?
* Do you ever take photos of yourself?
* What do you do with your photos after you have taken them?
* Are there many public holidays in your country?
* What did you do on the last public holiday?
* Do you think it is important to have public holidays?
* Do you think there should be more public holidays in your country?
* How often do you read a book?
* What types of books do you like to read?
* Are there any types of things that you don’t like to read?
* What types of books did you like to read when you were a child?
* Do you find it easy to relax?
* What do you do to relax?
* Do you do any healthy activities to help you relax?
* Do you think going on a holiday is the best way to relax?
* Do you like to go shopping?
* When was the last time you went shopping?
* Where do you go shopping?
* What do you usually buy when you go shopping?
* Do you like visiting street markets?
* Are street markets very common in your country?
* Do you prefer to shop at a street market, or in shopping malls?
* Would you like to visit a street market in a foreign country?
* Did you like any of your teachers at school?
* Do you have a favourite teacher?
* Have you stayed in touch with any of your teachers?
* Would you like to be a teacher?
* Do you like watching television?
* What types of programs do you like to watch?
* Do you prefer to watch TV or read a book?
* Did you watch much TV when you were a child?
* How often do you make telephone calls?
* Who do you talk to the most on the telephone?
* Do you prefer to call people or send text messages?
* Do you think sending e-mail is more convenient than calling people?
* Do you like traveling?
* In which season do you prefer to travel?
* Is your country is a good place for tourists to visit?
* What country would you like to visit next?
Weather & Seasons:
* What’s the weather like in your country?
* Which season do you like best?
* Does the weather ever affect your mood?
* Do you usually watch weather forecasts on TV?